Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Shifting gears


I thought you all might appreciate something I stumbled on:

I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies so that you learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. – Marilyn Monroe

Miss. Monroe, you took the words right out of my mouth. Never really thought you such a sage, but alas, I couldn’t have put it any better myself so I thank you for articulating what my heart and mind have been trying to say.

Friends, I am thinking about learning to drive. I don’t really want to per se, but it will be good for me. Plus, I think that I’ve convinced Todd Smith that I really need a Mini Coop in my life.

Really can you picture me driving anything else? …well, other than something completely thugged out; I mean Elizabeth and I did think I might be good with an Escalade or an old-school caddy with a bumpin’ sound system (smiles). Which reminds me, Elizabeth is also thinking about driving. She’s growing up, looking at an apartment for herself on Thursday. Her maturing makes me sad but proud, and I suppose we can go get our permits together.

Expect a future blog to regale you with the horrifying details of my first time behind the wheel…hey, it can’t be any worse than me force-feeding you my religiopoliphilosocial thoughts on any given day.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your thoughts so it's not forcefeeding. I'm worried about that quote though. I hope nothing serious is falling apart on you. I can't believe you're finally going to drive, and yes, you'll be cute in a coop.

Alan said...

Please pardon this stereotypical comment, I just couldn't resist: "Get off the road everyone, Karen is learning to drive!"

Prozacgod said...

hmm, I'm sincerely surprised you don't already drive, I thought I was a late duck, I didn't get my drivers license until I was almost 18. The reasons why are sorta silly - I was worried about my aggressive and risk taking behaviours - I really worried I'd end up wrapped around a tree. In the end they ended up being silly. No - I actually do drive aggressively and fast with lots of risks - it just turned out that I'm good at driving like that. Probably not something good, but its so hard not to when you grow up on gravel roads.

Karen said...

Thanks boys (I guess). I have my reasons for not driving, and really I still don't want to, just think it's probably about time.

Someone's always willing to get me where I want to be, and not having a car payment or car insurance has afforded me extra disposable income over the years (something I'll have a lot less of with that Coop - it's sooooooo cute though.) Ugh, sometimes I am such a girl.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are such a girl, but that's okay because as far as girls go you're a cute one. I'll admit that if you get that Coop I will be green with envy but happy for you, although maybe a little sad because you probably won't need to hang out with me anymore :(

And te Marilyn words made me a little sad.

- C

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're going to drive! Hooray for me though because that means you can actually bring your butt here to vist.

Anonymous said...

You may be the only person I know that would accessorize with a car ;)