Sorry, you’ll see what prompted it in a second (you know beside my obvious love for Salt-N-Peppa since my Blacks’ Magic cassette circa ‘93).
It’s
Instead I starting thinking about how when you’re in grade school you’re force-fed some historical nonsense as to why you will have Monday off just prior to being reminded that you should use that time wisely to work on whatever your big project is for the semester. With Columbus Day, in particular (yes, my Catholic grade school was closed), I can recall a cheesy Bugs Bunny cartoon (that I probably saw 10+ times thanks to my paternal grandfather’s love of Bugs) helping to form some of my ideas on Christopher Columbus’ historic role. Of course, the older I got, the less credence I gave to cartoons as historic references (wink), but just for the sake of discussion I think it’s a bit crazy that I ever allowed it into my psyche at all. That’s what we do though right? Form a popular consciousness with regard to historical events via a pervasive cultural layer that's been added like that of Bugs and Chris?
The cartoon delivers that same ol’ story of Chris attempting rather unsuccessfully to convince potential financiers of his voyage that the world is round, etc. Historians know very well that in addition to a majority of well-traveled sailors, most educated people in early modern
When you ask why people have heard otherwise, you can’t really zero in on any single text or source that is responsible for creating an alternative folk knowledge about
Crap! I'm not going to do it, but the whole thought processes for tonight have ended me at memetics...ugh, another time perhaps. I am tired and extend my apologies for messy though without any fun or informative hyperlinks; what can I say?...I suck tonight. Only blogging to distract myself from familial drama.

2 comments:
Allo love, good blog. No time for thoughtful commentary so I leave you with this: memes = Traffic. Drinks or something soon, and we can visit on this a bit if you want.
- C
Shoop?!? OMG you crack me up! I had to freaking look up memetics. I do remember Sister Robert Joseph's incessant chatter on doing your homework over a 3 day weekend. I laugh at that the same way we refused to wear our skirts too long. I def remember that cartoon too. It is really funny the way the certain things seem to impact us all into a belief. Obviously, no one grows up believing something they "learned" from a Bugs cartoon...wait, I might be wrong about that...GW? Ruling? Gosh I just miss ya' gorgeous.
Post a Comment