
I've been voting for 10 years now and have only voted outside of the Democratic or Libertarian parties twice. One of those times is irrelevant for this story, and the other is of course, in this election season's primary. What possessed me, the girl that everyone assumes is a hardcore liberal simply because she's the product of lower-middle class, single-parent household and lives as an enviro-friendly vegetarian with two gay best friends and a fondness for diversity and tolerance of it, to vote for a Republican? Well, it all started January 9th, in a simple conversation that I was having to become reacquainted with an old friend. We were exchanging pleasantries when he asked me, rather out of the blue, who I was voting for in the presidential election.
Now, ordinarily I don't care to discuss politics or “hot-button” issues with someone that I want to get along with as I am all-to-aware of my own ability to become aggressive and/or defensive. I recalled this kid as being one of the nicest boys I knew though, it was just on-line, and I was bored at work so I said to myself, "why not?", and acquiesced. My reply was basically that it was still too early for me to say, that I felt, often you don't get to see the best or ugliest until it was closer to election time, that admittedly I hadn't researched enough detail yet to make a final decision and was aware that I needed to get on it, but with that said, I replied that I was leaning toward Obama. Well, little did I know that my friend was/is one of the largest Ron Paul supporters out there, nor did I know what a gift he has for setting you up just take you down. Yep, he baited and I bit; the boy only asks who you're voting for and why so that he may then offer up reasons as to why your choice is not a good one, and that really there is only one sound choice: Ron Paul.
He inquired, "why do you like Obama?" I responded that for starters: 1.) I worked in healthcare and could find things that I liked in his plan and 2.) I liked where he stood in foreign policy with respect to the war in Iraq. I mean, his health plan wasn't nearly as extravagant as Hillary's, and I liked his proposed changes for private companies. He opposed the war and proposed a fairly quick return of troops. I said my friend has a gift right? Here is why I believe that he does: at this point he could have just criticized me, told me why I was wrong, etc., but instead he took more of an, "uh huh, I see," approach and proceeded to explain that there was only one person that he could comfortably and in good conscience vote for because there was only one person that was a true adherent of the Constitution, a pursuant of liberty, freedom....Ron Paul.
Of course, he wanted to know my thoughts on the man, and all I could offer was that I knew very little other than that I thought he was a proponent for homeschooling, something with which I had concerns. A litany of reasons as to why Ron Paul is awesome was delivered quickly, and I found myself promising to research him as a viable option for my vote before deciding on anyone. Never let it be said that I am close-minded because I am always open to research and to learn. Not only did I proceed to read pretty much everything on www.ronpaul2008.com I also looked for newspaper articles and political commentary on the man. I was enthralled with much of what I was reading, as there was quite a bit that I agreed with, and I'm pretty sure my friend knew it was happening as he just continued to nudge more Ron Paul my way. I was coaxed into watching ridiculously long clips from YouTube on the Federal Reserve, from which I was inspired to write a blog that sent my collective group of heavily left-leaning friends into a frenzied mess. Honestly, it threw me a bit off-kilter as well but was welcome as I had been suffering from a bit of apathy toward writing, something I once loved. Never did I expect to actually be wooed by a Republican, but Dr. Paul has his ways.
I bought and read Freedom Under Siege and fell even more smitten with this little Constitutionalist as he truly seems to always stand his ground. It's not Obama's foreign policy or healthcare plans that I agree with; they're Ron Paul's. The man acknowledges our obscene overspending and wants to stop it. He refuses to treat the Constitution as a simple piece of antiquated paper, open to interpret as we see fit. His diligence and strict adherence to his beliefs and to the Constitution move me, and it turns out that he's not so far off from many of the Libertarian ideals that I have often agreed with over the years. He speaks with honesty about limiting a big government that has far overstepped its prescribed role and about restoring our personal freedoms as they were intended to be protected in the first place.
The more Paul I read, the more I liked, and the more of everyone else I read, the more I disliked and identified them as trespassing against the Constitution. With Ron Paul there are no surprises; his policies and future actions are found in one place. Any reluctance or hesitance? You need only look at his voting record. The man does not waiver. What about the rest? Well, they will pander and weave whatever story they think the public is buying. James Madison once said, "Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government." James Madison = founding father and soothsayer ;-) I decided that I no loner want anything to do with this bastardized form of government and that I would seek to only further advance my knowledge of Ron Paul and what he stands for.
I desperately wanted to hear Ron Paul speak, and I wrote the following to my friend in explanation as to why I would very much like to go with him: “I would like to listen (in person) to someone that impresses me with his ability to recognize that not all human problems are capable of solutions (at least not via government solutions), that resists unnecessary government spending (especially given the current state of our economy), that holds a watchful eye over big Washington power, that I can respect for his faith even if I don't fully grasp it and respect even more for what seems to be the ability to know there is a point where religion and politics simply do not mesh, that promotes self-reliance and cultural pluralism and most of all freedom.” Ron Paul did not disappoint; if anything I like him even more. Previous viewings of his speeches and debates had left me wondering just how personable he was and whether or not he was a very good speaker. Concerns were put to rest on Friday night as I listened to him deliver an excellent speech, peppered with humor and filled with a more than personable demeanor. It was an absolute honor and delight to hear him speak and to share in the company of approximately 1500 other impassioned Ron Paul supporters. I thank my friend not only for taking me but for introducing me to someone that is truly the kind of candidate I can support.
What’s not to love about Ron Paul? He favors sound money, non-interventionist foreign policy (keeping our tax dollars here), increased trading and friendly interaction with other nations, personal responsibility, repealed income tax, free market healthcare, small government, personal freedom and so on…:-) I encourage you to consider not only his platform but his level of respectability: he is consistent, and he doesn't take money from criminals like the other three big names in this race as they are all guilty of business with the likes of Soros, PACS and Goldman Sachs.
I believe that he means what he says as voting actions speak louder than any campaign propaganda. An administration headed by Ron Paul would result in a better United States, one much more economically stable and in healthier relationship with the rest of the world. Current administration and our ballot choices take a counterproductive approach that actually leads the United States to be resented and more isolated in the world. I’m tired of it, and I will not vote for someone just because he is the lesser of two evils. I will wear my Ron Paul button. I will help spread his message of freedom and liberty, and I will vote in November the same way I did in February.
The Constitution is the sine qua non to a healthy U.S., and Ron Paul is the only candidate that knows this. In closing I leave you with a commercial whose Haloesque animation I sincerely enjoy in addition to the content as well as some words from Barry Goldwater that seem as though they could just as easily be spoken by Ron Paul today; truly great ideas and principles do not expire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK4BzVsAgtY
"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom." - Goldwater
I eagerly await my copy of The Revolution: A Manifesto.

8 comments:
Holy Mole, and I'm not talking Mexican enchilada sauce. Seriously Karen, I thought you were just touching the Republican water with your toes?!? This guy is a racist. You can't vote for a racist.
Okay, maybe I think you're a racist for referencing a chocolate based sauce before mentioning racism.
Puhleeze, you're talking about some papers from the 90s that were linked to Paul but not written by him; he has since addressed the concern and also addresses racism as an issue on his campaign site.
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/racism/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CoQWAXuUyI
How can you vote for someone that's not even in the running? Wait...are you doing that sarcasm thing that you're so good at? You know how everyone thinks you should write for The Onion or The Office a la your CanAidian skit? Please say that's what this is. I can appreciate that he's consistent and that he follows the Constitution, but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
- C
Why on earth are you up so early? Do you sit outside of my house waiting for me to leave? ;-)
No, I am most certainly not being sarcastic, and you know that (my writing may not be the best, but I'm certain that my point was made clear.) Maybe he doesn't have a chance, but that doesn't mean that I should be forced to vote for someone that I don't think is deserving of my vote (BTW, he took a sweet 25% in Montana's primary so I'm not the only one with a fondness for the man.)
You can call it stupidity; I call it contumacy, and I will vote where my conscience and mind take me. November is still pretty far away, but I don't foresee any changes here.
Sorry pet; 'tis what it is, and it is with great adjuration that I ask you to consider your conscience as well vs. kowtowing to the machine.
You inspired me to read and to research as well. Honestly, I get it. I like him, but I agree he'll never win so it's a waste. I'll make a deal with you though...in looking him up I came across the following: http://www.missronpaul.com/ and if you submit to win next month's I will think about writing him in come election day. Ha! I figure that's a safe deal because I know little shorty thinks she's too fat (even is she's not - hey, I might not use MySpace but don't think for a second that I haven't caught that belly shot by way of a fellow cohort.)
(rolls eyes) Puhleeze. I don't know which of my Js this is, but I have a suspicion that it's not Jess or Julie (maybe though.)
Let me address some things here (if I knew who to email directly I would so as to spare future readers - sorry):
1.) You're asking me to trade my physical self in exchange for your vote?...umm - no.
2.) Even if I thought it was a good trade, I wouldn't b/c you are right: I do think I'm too fat for it, and if you know me at all you know I hate to lose.
3.) That pic of my stomach was a fluke good shot and is a couple of months old. I only took it because I was feeling rather confident at the time (I use it now as an ego booster.) Lately, I'm feeling rather inadequate so forget it.
4.) Did I mention I don't like to participate if I can't win?
Thanks though, with friends/acquaintances/anonymous people like you I suppose I can rustle up some additional ego-boosting when needed. It's sweet, I think...
I'm aware that physical you is worth more than my vote. Geeze. You can't blame a guy for trying to get you posed in any of those purchases from your previous post. And who says you wouldn't win? Have you looked at them? You have a shot.
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss healthcare policy with me today. You know I don't always thing about these things, and I should. It's crazy to think that in 30 minutes I went from being pro universal healthcare to free market, as you put it. Thanks for the link. I like this blog but need to do my own researching before I pull some crazy move like you're talking about. How did I miss this guy before though? He sounds like someone that I would have voted for had I known. Ugh! I hate this election, and I'm disappointed in myself for not being more informed!
p.s. You know you have a cute butt so I agree with J if you like this Ron Paul so much (and we know you love to compete) do the girl of the month thing just to see if you win. I think you could make it into their finals for a month ;) WWTS? (What would Todd say?)
p.p.s. I would like it if you weighed in on potential VP candidates.
Post a Comment